Creating hyperlinks in Moodle allows you to link to external resources like websites, videos, or even a publisher’s content. In order to hyperlink, you need to create an “anchor” for the link – this anchor will allow students to select the words or object to redirect them to the resource.
- To create a hyperlink, you will need either text or an image to attach the hyperlink. If you have several links (including embedded videos), you can utilize a resource “page” which will allow you to keep these nice and neat on your Moodle homepage. I’m personally a fan of bulleted lists when displaying a set of links. Bullets can be found on the first row of any text editor.
- To hyperlink text, create your text reference FIRST, then highlight it with your mouse. Once highlighted, select the “link” icon located on the first row.
- Once selecting the link icon, a pop up dialog box will appear. You now have two choices for linking. The first is pasting a URL from the internet, i.e.) website, video, publisher content, etc. You also have the option to hyperlink a DOCUMENT by “browsing repositories”. Instead of having loose resource files, you are able to link a document directly into the text. This is extremely useful when you are wanting to keep resources together for a certain topic or even provide instructions for an assignment.
- I recommend to always select “open in a new window” to prevent the students from being redirected away from their Moodle class. Another formatting suggestion is to bold and underline the hyperlinked selection. That way it is distinctive. Once selecting, click create link. Don’t worry if you forget to do this the first time. You can always select an active hyperlink, click the “link” icon mentioned in step 2, and make adjustments to the existing link, i.e.) adjust hyperlink, a new document, or checking open in a new window.
To hyperlink an image, you will use the same method as mentioned above. Instead of providing a text anchor, we are using a graphic.
- Insert a graphic into the content area by using the image icon on the editor tool bar.
- You can either add the photo’s URL or upload a photograph that has been saved on to your computer by browsing the repository.
- To upload the file select “choose file” to locate the image on your computer and then select “upload this file.”
- Once selecting the image, provide a brief description of the image for ADA compliance. You can also adjust the dimensions of the image before selecting save image.
- To add a hyperlink to the image, click the image once to select it and then select the link icon.
- You are able hyperlink either a document or website URL (as previously detailed in the instructions above).